Numaligarh Refinery Ltd. (NRL), an Govt. of India enterprise is a huge refinery in state of Assam, India. Part of Indian Oil Corporation. It is an enterprise that is critical to the country’s economy. It is imperative that any change done in the management, operation or even administrative section of the enterprise has to be in a manner that doesn’t disruptive the workflow, beyond a desired timeframe as that may result in huge revenue losses. The company is not only involved in oil and gas production but is also involved in marketing oil and gas and their byproducts.
Besides managing the refinery, the company also manages a township located right next to the refinery, providing all types of civic amenities to their workforce and their families including health and education. As a company managing such a humongous operation on daily basis, it needs to ensure that any change that must be affected in the plant should be done smoothly without any hiccup; with all approvals in place and timeframe for change that has been approved by all concerned.
- Too much time being spent on maintaining structured document flow and approval process, an impediment in existing system.
- Upgrade from an outdated user interface design, plagued by slow response.
- Secured and unhindered access to view documents both online and offline.
- Design a system that keeps everyone in the loop regarding progress in change requested.
The journey started off with understanding the challenges of the current methodology used in processing their changes and how effectively a technology solution can just not automate, but also bring in possibilities of reduced risks, better quality and drive towards quicker close-outs. After several discussions on optimizations, a tailor-made application was designed - an efficient, flexible, secured and user-friendly Web based solution for generating proposals flowing information across securely and effectively.
e-MOC system was deployed at the NRL facility on 14th December 2016.
The system is built as single page application which is the latest technology used in .NET Framework withSQL database which is one of the most robust, scalable application development platforms. Microsoft .NET technology provides robust services for application development and operational infrastructure for deploying large-scale, secure and flexible enterprise class applications.
Following are a few functionalities of the new e-MOC System:
- An efficient, flexible, secured and user-friendly Web based solution for generating MOC proposals and shall flow information to various levels for approvals as per the Logical Flow Diagram approved by NRL. The system shall also transform paper filing systems into electronic format which enables greater and faster information access.
- Automatic e-Mail notification to respective users at various levels.
- Active Directory integration for NRL user validation
- Helps uploading/attaching scanned or any other soft documents into the System along with created MOC proposals at multiple levels
- Helps the respective users to view existing MOC proposals through the System along with attached documents. Detachment of documents uploaded by users of any level can be done provided the MOC is not forwarded to the next level otherwise it can be done by Administrator only.
- Revalsys devised a user-friendly, fully integrated reliable web-based solution to ensure efficient and prompt handling of change & prevent change-related incidents.
- The solution helped break down walls, allowing all stakeholders to work together across all departments to assess, analyze the change requested with improved accuracy.
- The solution facilitates faster access of documents across all levels of workflows for approval, all stored at a centralized location.
- The robustly designed solution allows for updates to happen in real-time; an automated email notification system with best practice dashboard allows those concerned to take informed decisions quickly.
- The solution automates the document flow and approval process, allowing users to customize the request for approval based on priority.
- The customized solution helps get insight into how to plan, monitor, manage, align and mitigate risks associated with change in a cost-effective manner.
- The flexible, secured and user-friendly web-based solution helps increase reliability, improve financial management and ultimately boosts productivity.
- Ensure consistent information/document flow in electronic form at various levels for approvals in line with ‘Digital India’ initiative.
- The automated document workflow and approval process allows for all stakeholders to participate, leading to seamless transparency in change management.
- The all new eMOC, a Business Process Management (BPM) Solution allows all stakeholders to take decisions more efficiently with highly visual representation of data.
- The all new solution ensures changes in plant are implemented within specified timeframe by an approved team.